- Send an application request email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Veteran Liaison Amanda Stoner will respond to your application request by the following business day.
- Complete the application in its entirety and return (at this time, only electronic copies of the application are available)
- Your application will be reviewed by Veteran Liaison Amanda Stoner and Executive Director Michelle Dunlap.
- You’ll receive a response regarding your application within five business days (exceptions include holidays and major events).
- Upon approval of your application, we’ll request a meeting with you and your family (and your dog, if applicable) with Veteran Liaison Amanda Stoner, Executive Director Michelle Dunlap, and a member of our Veteran Handler Team. If you have a dog who meets our criteria, this meeting also serves as the evaluation of your dog’s potential for service dog training.
- Following the interview, our team will conduct an After Action Review, and will respond to you within five business days.
- Once you are approved to enroll in our training program, we will contact area rescue groups and prison-dog programs to introduce you to potential matches. *
- You and your family will be introduced to dogs who fit your lifestyle and meet our criteria for potential service dog training.*
- You and your family will choose a dog to adopt from the rescue group/prison-dog program. A home visit is required by SDP staff.*
- Training will begin approximately two weeks after adoption to allow for adaptation into your home.*
- If your dog is approved for service dog training, we will begin training within one week of approval. A home visit is required by SDP staff.
* Applicable only to veterans who have yet to acquire their own dog for training.